Toxic Shock Syndrome Kills Young Woman

In British Colombia, coroners now know that a girl who was found dead during an overnight school trip died of toxic shock syndrome. After Sara Manitoski death in 2017, the cause was inconclusive.

Thinking she was asleep, her friend left her in the cabin while they went off for breakfast. However, when they came back, Sara was in bed still, and her alarm was ringing. Emergency responders attempted CPR to no avail.

After finding a strand of the Staphylococcus aureus on a tampon that was still in her body, coroners were able to conclude that the cause of her death was toxic shock syndrome. Also in the report were notes that there were other signs of TSS.

During 2016, there were only 40 reported cases of toxic shock syndrome within the U.S., and around half of them were into relation to women’s menstruation.

Toxic Shock Syndrome The Cause Of Young Woman’s Death

However, when TSS comes about, it is due to toxins already residing in one’s body. Young women are more likely to get TSS than older women. One of the reason’s for this may be due to immune system not developing the proper antibodies to fight off the disease.

As a means to reduce the risk of developing TSS, doctors suggest for women to not wear tampons for more than two to three hours at a time. Also, to make sure they take out their tampons before going to bed. Moreover, using lower-absorbency tampon reduces dryness. It is best to use thee specific tampon during a period. Also, switching between pads and tampons while menstruating.

Even so, doctors say that women should not worry too much over TSS.

Tampons before insertion, do not carry the bacteria. Humans are the ones who carry the staph organisms that cause TSS. Health professionals encourage women just to be more cautious about their health.