Jon Jones Tests Positive For Banned Substance

A United States Anti-Doping Agency spokesperson confirmed on Friday that the results of Jon Jones’ B sample from a test executed on June 16 confirms the presence of a banned substance.

Jones was removed from a scheduled title round at the UFC 200 fight with Daniel Cormier. This occurred Wednesday after he was informed by the USADA that there might be a violation in regards to anti-doping. Jones asked that they test sample B back in Salt Lake City at the same lab.

Madden said that the B sample had confirmed the findings of the A sample.

It is still unknown exactly what substance they found in Jones system. Jones confirmed that the USADA informed him what he tested positive for during an emotional news conference Thursday. However, Jones has chosen not to declare that information at this time.

The USADA guidelines state that the anti-doping organization is not able to release that information until the athlete announces it. Because Jones and his representatives discussed the testing of the B sample on Thursday, the USADA was able to publish the results.

Jones and his manager have denied any violation in the matter. He is a longtime supporter of stricter drug testing. Jones said that he is unfamiliar with the substance he tested positive for and has no idea how he could have encountered a banned substance. Testing positive for performance-enhancing drugs results in a standard penalty of a two-year suspension from the sport.

Jones is still able to appeal with the USADA now that the B sample test is complete.

The UFC introduced a thorough anti-doping plan in July 2015. According to the USADA website, Jones has submitted six samples since the program began. This is the first instance of Jones testing positive for a performance-enhancing drug. Reports show that he did test positive for traces of cocaine before a fight in January 2015.

A first-time performance-enhancing drug offense carries a standard two-year suspension under the anti-doping program. When asked what reaction he has to a two-year ban, Jones said he definitely would return.

Jones originally planned to face Cormier in a fight that would unify the light heavyweight championship. Jones initially took the title in 2011 and defended it eight consecutive times.

The UFC took away Jones’  belt after going to jail last year in New Mexico on a hit-and-run charge. He pleaded guilty but managed to avoid jail time.

Jones also won an interim championship in a comeback fight in April.

Jon Jones